The best way to use a webcam is to follow a few tips about position, lighting, and setups. Use this checklist of 8 handy tips to make sure you get the most out of your webcam.
- Place the webcam at eye level or slightly higher to look better on camera.
- Look into the camera to connect with the viewer.
- If you use two monitors, place your camera in between.
- Use a solid color background to avoid distractions. (If you’re using Zoom with your webcam, choose a virtual background that suits.)
- Make sure there’s good lighting in the room. Soft light coming from the front is very flattering, but you can use more than one light source to create a more interesting setup.
- Add an external microphone if the one built into the webcam isn’t very powerful. Don’t be afraid to mute the mic if you need to cough or sneeze – see what should you not do on a Zoom call.
- Do manual adjustment settings to find the best image and sound quality for your specific situation.
- Run a webcam test just to double-check your final settings
Overall, make sure you’re using a high-quality webcam for the best results. If you have no other options, you can use your smartphone. This article will show you the steps: Can I use my phone as a webcam?
I hope these tips helped you understand the best way to use a webcam for your next Zoom call, teleconferencing or live streaming event.