Interview with Sam Hurd
This week I was lucky enough to grab a moment with Washington DC wedding photographer Sam Hurd. Sam’s work first caught my eye with his Epic Portraits series, in which he took head shots of famous celebrities using challenging and original techniques.
Sam’s wedding and portrait work continues to inspire me, and throughout my correspondence with Sam during the launch of Shotkit, I came to realise that he is very open and frank when it comes to his photography work, two traits that aren’t commonly associated with a successful photographer (at least not without a fee!)
In this interview, Sam talks in depth about his interactions with George Clooney and other celebrities, unique portrait photography techniques including the Brenizer method, freelensing and light painting, his camera gear (in particular why he chose Nikon over Canon), how he interacts with clients, how he delivers his photos to clients and finally some tips for aspiring photographers.
The video isn’t the best quality but I urge you to watch the whole thing as it’s a great insight into the mind and technical processes of a very talented and motivated individual.
More interviews coming soon to Shotkit. If you enjoyed this, remember to Like, Share, Tweet and leave a comment ;-)
– How did you get into shooting famous celebrity portraits such as Denzel Washington and George Clooney?
– How do you prepare for these kinds of shoots, baring in mind you always use difficult techniques?
– How was George Clooney?!
– Was it tempting for you to just use a regular lighting/photo set up with the celebrities?
– Describe a few of your unique techniques (freelens shots, RGB, prism, Benizer etc)
– How do you shoot your long exposure light painting shots
– Why Nikon? Have you been tempted by Canon?
– What camera/lens set up do you use for weddings?
– Your lens choice is predominantly wide angles with nothing over 58mm. Don’t you need long lenses for weddings?
– Describe your use of the Litepanels Croma.
– How do you like the Sony A7r? What do you use it for?
– How do you like the Leica M9? What do you use it for?
– Any tips for aspiring photographers?
You might also like ...
Hi, I'm Mark! Dive with me into the minds and camera bags of the world's best photographers.
Improve your photography, make smarter gear choices and grow your business!
Search for Camera Gear: