Fernando Garcia

Hello, I’m Fernando Garcia, wedding photographer based in Mexico City. Father of three wonderful kids whom I love more than anything in life.

I’ve always had a special interest in arts, especially in photography. Since the birth of my first child I started to take photography more seriously, I felt a great need to capture those moments forever. I fell completely in love with those looks, expressions, movements and so on. That’s when I bought my first camera, an analogic Nikon N-90s and ever since then I haven’t stopped photographing my children. The three of them changed my life forever.

Bonus Material for Wedding Photographers: Click here to get all the best Wedding Photography related content + Exclusive tools & guides

I did my first wedding in 2008, and since that day I am so grateful with life for giving me the opportunity to make my passion a lifestyle.

I’ve always used Nikon, I feel very comfortable with the brand. Still, I have never been a big fan of the never ending discussion between Nikon and Canon or any other brand, for me the difference is in the photographer not the camera, besides everyone is looking for different results.

When I’m doing a wedding I try to take the minimum and rather focus on the shots and not worry so much about my equipment.

My bag has 3 camera bodies: two Nikon Df’s and a Nikon D4, and 3 lenses; Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Nikon 85mm f/1.4, and Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, plus two led lights and a flash Nikon SB-910.

I divide my way of work in two parts. The first one is the getting ready, family portraits and the bride and groom session. I use my two Nikon Df bodies for this part. One with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 which I use to shoot 80% of the pictures because I love the sharpness of the lens. And the other 20% with the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 that I use to take more intimate portraits.

I love my Nikon Df camera, I think the design is a piece of art, and I love how light it feels in your hand.

The second part consists of the first dance, the ceremony and party. Here is when the Nikon D4 comes in, with the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8. I love this combination, I find the ability and speed focus in continuous mode to be awesome and essential.

Mexican weddings are usually 600 guests and upwards, and after 2 or 3 tequilas it becomes a madhouse. There’s something interesting going on everywhere at the same time that you can miss if you don’t have this camera paired with this lens. The colors, tones and contrasts it gives with an ISO 6400 are wonderful and just what I look for. I use one led light helping me at the party and I barely use the flash.

Any questions hit me up.

My kit:

Nikon Df with Sigma 35mm f/1.4
Nikon Df with Nikon 85mm f/1.4
Nikon D4 with Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8
Neewer LED light
Flash Nikon SB-910

www.fernandogarcia.net

Inside Fernando’s Camera bag:

Bonus Material for Wedding Photographers: Click here to get all the best Wedding Photography related content + Exclusive tools & guides

10 Comments

  • Can you share a but on how you use the led? Is it on a stand that you move around? Or do you set it and fidget it? Hand held? Also, can you share a bit on how you get such great contrast?

    • Hi Jason, Thanks for taking the time to read my article

      I generally use the leds on my camera, mounted on a left side arm, sometimes I take them off the camera and arrange them in a different place so I can direct them from another perspective.

      About the contrast that you ask, I edit my photos in Bridge and Photoshop. I make the first adjustments in Bridge, like white balance, exposure and a bit of contrast.

      From there I open them in Photoshop and with Viveza I make little adjustments on the levels and curves, I merge the layers, and then again with Viveza I apply saturation and contrast, I do it this way because I find that it gives me better results.

      I feel that the contrast I get with Viveza is finer than in “Bridge”

      I hope this helps you out, if there’s anything else don’t hesitate to ask me
      Greetings and thanks

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *