How to Attach a Camera Strap (You’re Doing it Wrong!)
Find out how to attach a camera strap in the most efficient way. No dangling cords or messy fastenings. This is simply the best way to attach a strap!
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or it’s the first time you’ve picked up a camera, there’s one basic problem that baffles all photographers – how to attach a camera strap!
I’m talking about the black strap that’s included with most camera purchases, emblazoned with the manufacturer’s logo.
Bafflingly, there’s never any mention in the instructions of the best way to attach your camera strap.
So here’s Warwick from Fujifilm Australia setting the record straight once and for all.
It may not be the only way to attach a camera strap, but it sure is the best way I’ve come across!
(…and if you’re looking for a new camera strap, don’t miss this article.)
How to attach a Camera Strap
If you prefer a step-by-step written guide, here’s our best effort at explaining the process of attaching a neck strap to a camera.
- Make sure your neck strap is facing the correct way – the exposed top and bottom of the camera strap ‘buckle’ needs to be facing outward.
- With the camera strap pointing toward the camera, thread the loose end of the strap through the camera’s attachment point (usually a metal triangular or flat loop.)
- Thread the loose end of the strap through the fastening ‘collar’ that’s attached to the strap.
- Then push the upper part of the strap through the top part of the buckle so you have enough slack for step 5.
- This is the tricky bit – thread the loose end of the strap through the top end of the buckle, so that it enters ‘inside’ the loop you just created. Then thread the same loose end back down through the outside opening of the buckle, at the bottom.
- Repeat steps 1-5 with the other end of your strap.
This method of attaching your new strap to your camera ensures that not only is your camera secure when hanging from your neck, but there also shouldn’t be any loose dangling ends hanging off the buckle.
Obviously, you may know another way to attach a camera strap (we’re not saying this is the absolute ‘right way’), so why not leave us a comment or link below with your suggested method!
Check out these 8 essential tools to help you succeed as a professional photographer.
Includes limited-time discounts.