In life, changes are always present. Because we want more. To challenge us, to be a better version of us, to make our work easier.
As I said last time, my previous gear was awesome, but I wish to work with smaller and more lightweight equipment and of course, with the latest photo technology.
For a long time, I wished to switch to mirrorless, but when Nikon launched the first Z camera, I was disappointed because I wanted a camera to “fight” one-on-one with Sony a9. So I changed systems to a new one, to my dream camera, the Sony a9.
For a short time, I was shooting with both Nikon DSLR and Sony a9. Quickly, I learned to use the new system, and now, my camera is like an extension of my hand.
As a visual storyteller, I love the silent shutter, because I like real moments, unchanged by my presence. And with Live view, I take photos from more various angles, just looking at the screen, without having to use the viewfinder.
My photographer friends with DSLRs changed systems too, and I helped them to configure their Sony a9 cameras.
Mirrorless is the future!
What’s in my new bag:
2x Sony a9: I don’t use 20fps, but I’m in love with the AF system, especially Eye-AF. The only focus mistake is a human one.
Sony Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 : I can shoot in f/1.4 a lot because the focus is always on the eye or in the place that I want. Instant! One of my most used lenses in my job.
Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 : Yes, again f/1.4! To shoot more in low light, in a wider angle, for my storytelling wedding photographic style.
Sony 85mm f/1.8: Lightweight, very quick in AF, and a good price. It’s excellent for portrait photo sessions, so I don’t need the f/1.4 version.
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8: When I bought it, I was thinking of this lens as a backup because it has a good price compared to other 24-70mm f/2.8 zooms in the market. I don’t like zoom lenses, but this one is so lightweight it changed my mind.
Slowly I started to use it when I shoot with flash or any time I don’t need f/1.4. Also, in my studio, it is the only lens that I work with.
2x Godox V860IIS: TTL and HSS flashes with faster recharging time because of the 2000mAh Li-ion polymer battery pack. I use it off-camera, on stands. It has a built-in wireless function, so I don’t need extra triggers.
Godox XProS TTL Wireless Flash Trigger: An advanced flash controller. I use it even in my studio.
Godox V350S and Godox TT350S: The small version of Godox flashes. Lightweight, but it still has enough power to use on mirrorless cameras.
A green fashion style for two cameras, named Amulet Green – Pride Edition Limited from Genuine Strap Luxury Leather Artisan.
Yongnuo YN360 Bi-Color: A 360 LED lamp, with adjustable color and brightness. Also, you can control it from an app on your phone.
Godox LED36: A small and lightweight lamp that can mount on the hotshoe of the camera.
Nanguang CN-20FC Bi-Color LED Fresnel: Powerful light output with flood and spotlight adjustment from 15-55 degrees. It has built-in barn door diffusors and stepless colour temperature control 3200-5600K.
SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston, and Sony SDHC and SDXC, from 16Gb to 128Gb.
MagMod: I use MagGrip, MagSphere, and MagGrid for creative flash effects.
Viltrox 20-Color Photographic Color Gels Filter: Useful for light correction or artistic effects.
GoPro Hero 7 Black: One of the most advanced action cameras. I use it to make short videos for making of stories.
DJI Spark Drone with the controller: Useful for a different perspective at outdoor After Wedding photo sessions.
Backup NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery for Sony a9 camera.
My smartwatch Huawei Watch GT2: With long battery life and minimal design, makes my life easier through features like Bluetooth calling or message notification.
Fotodiox Pro Automatic Macro Extension Tube Set: Only for the ring shots.
Hello! I’m Laurentiu Nica, a wedding photographer based in Romania. Ten years ago, I was a photojournalist working for local newspapers and national press agencies. At the time I hated weddings, but now I love them! Time and life can change your mind!
So, with my photojournalistic background behind me, I switched from news to weddings. In my style you can see a documentary approach, but also I like variety, so I like to experiment with reflections, various type of light and shadows, minimalistic photos, and others.
What’s in my bag:
– Nikon D750: my all-time favourite camera, small and lightweight. I can change my mind only if Nikon can make a full-frame mirrorless camera with the minimum characteristics of D750.
– Nikon D800: the megapixel monster. The best thing about this camera is that I can crop a lot from my images. And a very good dynamic range.
– Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art: 70% from my pictures are shot with this magic lens. And I think I’m not the only one that can shoot an entire wedding only with that lens. It’s very nice because you can stay near people, in low-light, without distracting them. For my documentary style, it’s my favourite.
– Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art: one of the best 50mm lenses. I use it for portraits or for small groups.
– Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art: before this lens, I tried G and D Nikon 85mm f/1.8’s, but I was not satisfied. After I switched to Sigma Art, I love to shoot portraits with the 85.
– Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD: sometimes I need an ultrawide lens, and 15mm is fantastic. I use it on the dancefloor, for people dancing, or when I want to show the entire space or environment.
– Godox TT685N: it’s a TTL and HSS flash. I sold my old Nikon SB-800 for this. I use it only on camera.
– 3 x Yongnuo YN560-IV and YN560-TX, a manual flash controller: it was 4 flashes, but I dropped one on the floor. I use these off camera, on stands. They include a wireless function so I don’t need extra triggers. It’s the 4th year in use!
– I have two: maroon for one camera, and a new one, a green fashion style for two cameras, named Amulet Green – Pride Edition Limited from Genuine Strap Luxury Leather Artisan.
– Yongnuo YN360 Bi-Color: a 360 LED lamp, with adjustable color and brightness. Also, you can control it from an app on the phone.
– Godox LED36: a small and lightweight lamp that can mount on the hot shoe of the camera.
– Card Storage Case Holder Wallet 18slots for SDHC + 4 slots For CF. It’s a no-name brand, but it’s very useful.
– Viltrox 20-Color Photographic Color Gels Filter: useful for light correction or artistic effects.|
– Andoer Conical Flash Snoot Light Modifier with 50 Degree Honeycomb Color Filter: for artistic effects.
– Micnova Honeycomb Grid Softbox for Camera Flash: for artistic effects.
– EINGCA Clamp Tripod Ball Head + Hot Shoe Adapter: for off-camera flash.
I don’t forget Xiaomi Yi, the small action camera, and iPhone 7+. I use these for small videos that I put on my Facebook or Instagram stories.
Check out the 11 essential tools and apps every wedding photographer should be using this year.
Includes limited time discounts.
Thanks for featuring my work, Mark !