In life, changes are always present. Because we want more. To challenge us, to be a better version of us, to make our work easier.
As I said last time, my previous gear was awesome, but I wish to work with smaller and more lightweight equipment and of course, with the latest photo technology.
For a long time, I wished to switch to mirrorless, but when Nikon launched the first Z camera, I was disappointed because I wanted a camera to “fight” one-on-one with Sony a9. So I changed systems to a new one, to my dream camera, the Sony a9.
For a short time, I was shooting with both Nikon DSLR and Sony a9. Quickly, I learned to use the new system, and now, my camera is like an extension of my hand.
As a visual storyteller, I love the silent shutter, because I like real moments, unchanged by my presence. And with Live view, I take photos from more various angles, just looking at the screen, without having to use the viewfinder.
My photographer friends with DSLRs changed systems too, and I helped them to configure their Sony a9 cameras.
Mirrorless is the future!
What’s in my new bag:
2x Sony a9: I don’t use 20fps, but I’m in love with the AF system, especially Eye-AF. The only focus mistake is a human one.
Sony Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 : I can shoot in f/1.4 a lot because the focus is always on the eye or in the place that I want. Instant! One of my most used lenses in my job.
Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 : Yes, again f/1.4! To shoot more in low light, in a wider angle, for my storytelling wedding photographic style.
Sony 85mm f/1.8: Lightweight, very quick in AF, and a good price. It’s excellent for portrait photo sessions, so I don’t need the f/1.4 version.
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8: When I bought it, I was thinking of this lens as a backup because it has a good price compared to other 24-70mm f/2.8 zooms in the market. I don’t like zoom lenses, but this one is so lightweight it changed my mind.
Slowly I started to use it when I shoot with flash or any time I don’t need f/1.4. Also, in my studio, it is the only lens that I work with.
2x Godox V860IIS: TTL and HSS flashes with faster recharging time because of the 2000mAh Li-ion polymer battery pack. I use it off-camera, on stands. It has a built-in wireless function, so I don’t need extra triggers.
Godox XProS TTL Wireless Flash Trigger: An advanced flash controller. I use it even in my studio.
Godox V350S and Godox TT350S: The small version of Godox flashes. Lightweight, but it still has enough power to use on mirrorless cameras.
A green fashion style for two cameras, named Amulet Green – Pride Edition Limited from Genuine Strap Luxury Leather Artisan.
Yongnuo YN360 Bi-Color: A 360 LED lamp, with adjustable color and brightness. Also, you can control it from an app on your phone.
Godox LED36: A small and lightweight lamp that can mount on the hotshoe of the camera.
Nanguang CN-20FC Bi-Color LED Fresnel: Powerful light output with flood and spotlight adjustment from 15-55 degrees. It has built-in barn door diffusors and stepless colour temperature control 3200-5600K.
SanDisk, Lexar, Kingston, and Sony SDHC and SDXC, from 16Gb to 128Gb.
MagMod: I use MagGrip, MagSphere, and MagGrid for creative flash effects.
Viltrox 20-Color Photographic Color Gels Filter: Useful for light correction or artistic effects.
GoPro Hero 7 Black: One of the most advanced action cameras. I use it to make short videos for making of stories.
DJI Spark Drone with the controller: Useful for a different perspective at outdoor After Wedding photo sessions.
Backup NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery for Sony a9 camera.
My smartwatch Huawei Watch GT2: With long battery life and minimal design, makes my life easier through features like Bluetooth calling or message notification.
Fotodiox Pro Automatic Macro Extension Tube Set: Only for the ring shots.
Hello! I’m Laurentiu Nica, a wedding photographer based in Romania. Ten years ago, I was a photojournalist working for local newspapers and national press agencies. At the time I hated weddings, but now I love them! Time and life can change your mind!
So, with my photojournalistic background behind me, I switched from news to weddings. In my style you can see a documentary approach, but also I like variety, so I like to experiment with reflections, various type of light and shadows, minimalistic photos, and others.
What’s in my bag:
– Nikon D750: my all-time favourite camera, small and lightweight. I can change my mind only if Nikon can make a full-frame mirrorless camera with the minimum characteristics of D750.
– Nikon D800: the megapixel monster. The best thing about this camera is that I can crop a lot from my images. And a very good dynamic range.
– Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art: 70% from my pictures are shot with this magic lens. And I think I’m not the only one that can shoot an entire wedding only with that lens. It’s very nice because you can stay near people, in low-light, without distracting them. For my documentary style, it’s my favourite.
– Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art: one of the best 50mm lenses. I use it for portraits or for small groups.
– Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art: before this lens, I tried G and D Nikon 85mm f/1.8’s, but I was not satisfied. After I switched to Sigma Art, I love to shoot portraits with the 85.
– Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD: sometimes I need an ultrawide lens, and 15mm is fantastic. I use it on the dancefloor, for people dancing, or when I want to show the entire space or environment.
– Godox TT685N: it’s a TTL and HSS flash. I sold my old Nikon SB-800 for this. I use it only on camera.
– 3 x Yongnuo YN560-IV and YN560-TX, a manual flash controller: it was 4 flashes, but I dropped one on the floor. I use these off camera, on stands. They include a wireless function so I don’t need extra triggers. It’s the 4th year in use!
– I have two: maroon for one camera, and a new one, a green fashion style for two cameras, named Amulet Green – Pride Edition Limited from Genuine Strap Luxury Leather Artisan.
– Yongnuo YN360 Bi-Color: a 360 LED lamp, with adjustable color and brightness. Also, you can control it from an app on the phone.
– Godox LED36: a small and lightweight lamp that can mount on the hot shoe of the camera.
– Card Storage Case Holder Wallet 18slots for SDHC + 4 slots For CF. It’s a no-name brand, but it’s very useful.
– Viltrox 20-Color Photographic Color Gels Filter: useful for light correction or artistic effects.|
– Andoer Conical Flash Snoot Light Modifier with 50 Degree Honeycomb Color Filter: for artistic effects.
– Micnova Honeycomb Grid Softbox for Camera Flash: for artistic effects.
– EINGCA Clamp Tripod Ball Head + Hot Shoe Adapter: for off-camera flash.
I don’t forget Xiaomi Yi, the small action camera, and iPhone 7+. I use these for small videos that I put on my Facebook or Instagram stories.