This guide on how to convert pictures to PDF on iPhone without an app will help you turn any ordinary photo on your iPhone into a Portable Document Format.
PDF is one of the most widely used picture formats because it’s easy to share and open on many apps. It’s also a universal format that works for multiple operating systems.
So, the next time someone asks you to send them a picture as a PDF, it won’t be hard, whether it’s a PNG or JPG photo.
You may already know how to turn photos into PDFs using your computer, but how about when you’re on the go and all you have is your iPhone?
Read on to discover a few ways to easily do it with the options already built-in on your iPhone.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Converting Pictures to PDF on iPhone
In general, many third-party apps can help you change photo extensions.
However, you can easily do it on your iPhone without having to install a specific application.
Here are five methods to help you with that.
Method #1: Using the Files App
The Files app on your iPhone is a type of manager that allows you to control external files saved on your device.
Before we get started, you need to make sure the image you want to convert is inside the Files app.
If it’s not there, open Photos, select the target picture, and tap the share icon. In the Share Sheet, scroll and choose Save to Files.
Remember that the Files app arranges photos in alphabetical or numerical order. So, you can rename them in your desired order before converting them.
That said, one of the best benefits of using the Files app is the ability to add or delete images from inside the PDF file easily.
Now that everything is ready, here’s how to use Files to convert an image into a PDF.
- Open Files (the blue icon that looks like a folder).
- Locate the photo you want to convert (you may need to tap the browse icon at the bottom right to find the image).
- Press and hold the target image or tap on the three dots at the upper right corner of the screen and press Select to choose more than one image.
- After selecting the photos that you want to convert to PDF, tap the three dots icon on the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap Create PDf, and your converted photo will be saved as a PDF file at the same location.
Method #2: Using the Print Option
This is another fantastic method to convert a picture to PDF on iPhone.
In such a method, the layout of the PDF file is usually pre-defined. In other words, if you select multiple photos, each one will occupy a single page inside the PDF file.
While you can change the paper size to your liking, other editing options aren’t available.
Either way, you don’t need to have a printer connected to use this method. After all, you’re not actually printing any photos.
Take a look at the steps you need to follow.
- Open the Photos app on your home screen.
- Tap the photo you want to convert to PDF (press the Albums icon at the bottom to navigate through the gallery).
- To select multiple pictures, tap Select at the upper right corner of your iPhone’s screen, and choose the desired photos.
- Select the images in the same order you want them to appear inside the PDF file.
- Tap the share icon at the bottom left corner of the iPhone’s screen (remember that you can’t rearrange the photos inside the PDF file after tapping the share icon).
- Scroll down, and choose Print (tap more if you can’t find it, and it should be there).
- On the Print Options display, you’ll find a preview of the photo at the bottom.
- Zoom in by reverse-pinching the display photo, and you’ll have the photo opened as a PDF file in the PDF viewer.
- Tap the small share icon at the bottom left corner of your phone’s screen.
- Press Save to Files (you can also share the photo directly as a PDF, attach it to an email, or copy it to your clipboard).
- Select the location you want to save the photo (on your iPhone or in your cloud space).
- Press Save.
- To open the converted photo, go to Files, tap Recents at the bottom of the screen, and your saved image should appear at the top.
Method #3: Using Apple Books
The Apple Books app is another iPhone app built inside the system. It’s an e-book store and reading application, but you can always use it to convert pictures to PDF files.
Take a look at how to do it.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Tap the photo you want to convert to PDF or select multiple pictures as instructed above.
- Press the share icon at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Navigate through the app’s icons until you find the Books app (it looks like an open white book on a bright orange background).
- Press More if you can’t find the Books app, and it should be there (the photo will automatically convert to PDF and open on the Books app once you select it).
- You can find the photo as a PDF file inside the Books app or the Files app under the Books section.
Method #4: Using the Notes App
Although you don’t need an external app to convert multiple photos to a PDF file, the options available are limited. For example, you can’t manipulate or rearrange the pictures inside the file.
Having said that, the Notes app may give you a bit of freedom regarding that matter.
One of the benefits it provides is letting you add text in the form of captions, titles, descriptions, etc. You can also use the Markup tool to draw over the pictures or add your signature.
Here’s how to use the Notes app to convert your photos into a PDF file.
- Open the Notes app.
- Tap the icon on the bottom right corner of the screen to create a new note.
- Tap the camera icon at the bottom of your iPhone’s screen.
- Select Choose Photo or Video.
- Select and organize the images as needed (unfortunately, you can’t resize them).
- Press Add after selecting the images.
- Tap the share button at the top of the screen once done.
- Select Print from the Share Sheet.
- Tap the share icon at the top of the Print Options page.
- Select Save to Files to save the images as a PDF file, or you can share them with whoever you like.
Method #5: Using the Shortcuts App
If you convert pictures into PDF files more frequently, using the Shortcuts app is quite useful.
Although it may seem more complicated than the previously mentioned methods, you only need to set it once. Later on, it saves you both time and effort.
Check out the steps you should follow to convert pictures to PDF files using the iPhone’s Shortcut app.
- Launch the Shortcut app on your iPhone.
- Tap the plus icon at the upper right corner of the screen to add a new shortcut.
- Press New Shortcut and choose Rename to change the name of the shortcut.
- Name it “PDF Converter” to find it on the Share Sheet easily.
- Press the Add Action button.
- Search for the action Make PDF in the search tap at the top of the screen.
- Tap on the action once you find it.
- Expand the Make PDF section by pressing the little arrow on the right.
- Toggle on the Include Margin option.
- Hit the Input button inside the Make PDF action section.
- Select Shortcut Input (a new section should appear above the Make PDF action).
- Adjust the type of input and change it to Receive Images.
- Press Nowhere, toggle on the Show in Share Sheet option, and tap Done.
- Scroll and find the Search bar at the bottom of the screen.
- Type Save File to search for the related action.
- Select the action and make sure the Ask Where To Save option inside the action card is toggled on.
- Press done at the upper right corner of your iPhone’s screen, and you should be all set.
- Open the Photos app to test the shortcut you created.
- Select the target images.
- Tap the share icon at the lower left corner of your iPhone’s screen.
- Scroll down until you find the PDF Converter shortcut.
- Tap on the shortcut and choose the destination folder.
- Press Open at the upper right corner of the screen.
- Notice the message that appears at the top of the screen confirming that the PDF file is saved.
- Open the Files app, and you should find the PDF document inside the folder you selected.
For those who like to save precious memories by taking many photos, knowing how to convert pictures to PDF on iPhone without an app is essential.
iPhones contain many built-in apps to make the task easier. Whether using the Photos app, the Print option, or even the Shortcuts app, you can always find a method that works best for you.