I put together this free guide to social media image sizes to help photographers with your promotion and sharing in 2023.
Like it or not, social media is still the number one way to get your photography noticed, and often, it doesn’t even cost a penny.
Resizing your photos for social media sites to the exact dimensions can save you time, and ensure the best possible quality for each particular platform.
If you want a handy PDF guide to refer to easily, just click here.
Table of Contents
Social Media Image Size Guide
Click the specific social media network links below to see what image sizes are best suited for sharing.
All the dimensions below are listed in width x height, in pixels, and are correct as of 2023.
I’ve also included image sizes for ads where relevant.
1. Facebook Image Sizes
- Cover Image: 852 x 315 (640 x 360 for mobile)- This is the ideal facebook cover pic size to ensure clarity.
- Profile Image: 360 x 360
- Shared Post Image: 1200 x 630- Making sure you have the right social media post size is crucial for engagement.
- Shared Link Preview Image: 1200 x 628
- Event Image: 1920 x 1080
- Highlighted Image: 1,200 x 717 (Recommended)
- Tilt-to-Pan Images: 1,920 x 3,240 – 5,400 (3-5x the width of the screen)
Facebook Ad Image Sizes
- Facebook Feed Ads: 1,200 x 628- Be mindful of the social media ad dimensions to ensure your ads are displayed optimally.
- Facebook Carousel Ads: 1,080 x 1,080 | maximum 30 MB
- Facebook Slideshow Ads: 1,280 x 720 each
- Facebook Right Column Ads: 1200 x 628
- Facebook In-Stream Video Thumbnail Ads: 1,200 x 675
- Facebook Instant Articles Ads: 1,200 x 628
- Facebook Marketplace Ads: 1,200 x 628
- Audience Network Native, Banner and Interstitial Ads: 1,200 x 628
- Sponsored Message Ads: 1,200 x 628
- Messenger Home Ads: 1,200 x 628 |
- Facebook Collection Ads (Including Canvas): 1,200 x 628 (recommended) | 600 (minimum, both height and width)
- Facebook and Instagram Stories size: 1,080 x 1,920
Here’s some info from Facebook about getting your images to display in the best possible quality.
Also, read our other article to learn how to download all photos from Facebook to your phone or computer.
2. Instagram Image Sizes
- Profile image: 110 x 110
- Image thumbnail: 161 x 161
- Shared photos: 1080 x 1080- The instagram pic size for shared photos should be of high resolution to ensure they appear crisp.
- Shared videos: 1080 pixels wide
- Instagram Stories: 1080 x 1920 (minim0 x 1067) | maxium 60mum 4 GB
3. Pinterest Image Sizes
- Profile image: 165 x 165 | maximum 10 MB
- Board cover image: 222 x 150 (large thumbnail) | 55 x 55 (small thumbnail)
- Pinned image preview: 236 pixels wide (height is scaled)
- Expanded Pins: 600 pixels minimum width (height is scaled)
4. YouTube Image Sizes
- Channel cover photo (banner): 2560 x 1440 | maximum 4 MB
- Channel icon/profile image: 800 x 800
- YouTube video thumbnail size: 1280 x 720
5. LinkedIn Image Sizes
- Banner image: 1584 x 396 | maximum 4 MB
- Profile image: 400 x 400 (minimum 200 x 200) | maximum 10 MB
- Company Cover image: 1536 x 768
- Shared image (to Company Page or personal profile): 552 by 368, for better quality doubled at 1,104 x 736 (1,200 x 627 with Buffer)
- Shared links (with an image to Company Page or personal profile): 552 x 289; for better quality doubled at 1,200 x 628
- Shared link preview: 180 x 110
- Company logo image: 300 x 300 | maximum 4 MB
- Company cover image: 1536 x 768 (minimum 1192 x 220) | maximum 4 MB
- Company page banner image: 646 x 220 | maximum 2 MB
- Square logo (appears in company searches): 60 x 60 | maximum 2 MB
- Hero Image (banner image on the career opportunities tab): 1128 x 376 | maximum 2 MB
6. Tumblr Image Sizes
- Profile image: 128 x 128
- Image post: 500 x 750 (maximum 1280 x 1920) | maximum 10 MB
7. Twitter Image Sizes
- Header image: 1500 x 500 | maximum 5 MB
- Profile image: 400 x 400 | maximum 2 MB
- In-stream image: 440 x 220
8. Snapchat Image Sizes
- Geofilters, ads, and lenses: 1080 x 1920
9. Reddit Image Sizes
- Header: 4000 recommended (minimum 1600) x 64, 128, or 192
- Voting Arrows: 48 x 48 (centered with 5px of padding)
- Placeholder Images: 336 x 232 (centered with 45 px padding on the top and bottom & 95px padding on the left and right)
- Body background: 4000 4000 (unless tiling)| maximum 5 mb
- Avatar: 256 x 256 | 64 kb
- Small Banner: 4000 x 80 | 5 mb
- Medium Banner: 4000 x 144 | 5 mb
- Large Banner: 4000 x 208 | 5 mb
- Additional Banner Background Images: 512 x 176 | 5 mb
- Menu Background Image: 4000 x 40 | 5 mb
For best results, always make sure you follow the recommended social media images sizes. This ensures that your images are displayed without cropping or quality loss, making your content stand out.
I hope you enjoyed this guide to resizing your images correctly for the major social media networks, and you put it to use immediately for your social media marketing.
If you need help resizing your images, our friends over at Biteable have a great free tool that will help.
If I missed any, let me know in the comments below. Best of luck with your activities on social this year ;-)