So you want to start a killer YouTube channel. Finding the best vlogging ideas that resonate with your style and interests is the first step to making a splash in the vlogging world.
Below, I’ve collected a diverse list of vlogging genres and topics to jump-start your creativity.
From the daily snippets of life to scrumptious food explorations, at-home fun, student life insights, and collaborative friend adventures, there’s something here for everyone.
As you dive into these ideas, you’ll find inspiration that aligns with your passion and audience, setting the stage for a channel that’s both engaging and uniquely yours.
Table of Contents
106 Unique YouTube Vlogging Ideas to Use in 2023
In a world where content is king, vlogging reigns supreme.
Whether you’re a seasoned vlogger looking to refresh your content or a newbie finding your footing in the vast universe of YouTube, these 106 unique vlogging ideas are your ticket to creating captivating, engaging, and popular content.
Daily Vlogging Ideas
Every day is a new story waiting to be told. Daily vlogging is about capturing the essence of regular life, transforming mundane tasks into compelling narratives.
Try creating content about:
- Morning or Evening Routines: Give viewers a glimpse into your daily life by showing them your morning and/or evening routines. Share your best habits for starting the day and how you wind down at night.
- Behind the Scenes of Your Work: Offer a glimpse into your professional life by sharing the ins and outs of your daily work activities, meetings, project developments, or any special tasks or roles you undertake.
- Daily Challenges: Set a personal challenge each day and document your journey. It could be related to fitness, diet, learning something new, or even overcoming a fear, offering viewers a blend of motivation and entertainment.
- Grocery Shopping: Take your viewers along as you shop for groceries, sharing your shopping list, the choice of stores, money-saving tips, or explaining the reason behind selecting certain items or brands.
- Cooking a Daily Meal or “What I Eat in a Day”: Share your culinary journey by vlogging about your daily meals. Showcase meal preparations, favorite recipes, or even an entire day’s meal plan to give viewers new ideas and inspiration for their kitchens.
- An Unexpected Turn in Your Day: Life is unpredictable, and vlogging about an unexpected event, change of plans, or surprises can make for exciting and relatable content that keeps viewers engaged.
- “Day in My Life” Segments: Share a comprehensive look at a typical day in your life, incorporating various elements like work, hobbies, meals, social interactions, and downtime to give viewers a well-rounded view.
- DIY Daily Projects: Engage viewers by working on and documenting DIY projects, sharing the process, the necessary materials, techniques used, and the final outcomes, thus offering both learning and DIY inspiration.
- Pet Diaries: If you have a pet, document your daily activities with them, sharing feeding, playtime, training sessions, or any cute, funny, or endearing moments that viewers will find adorable and entertaining.
- Tour of Your House or Workspace: Provide an in-depth tour of your living or working space, explaining the significance of various elements, how you’ve organized or decorated spaces, and any tips or ideas viewers might find useful.
- An Inside Look at Your Gym Sessions: Share your fitness journey by taking viewers through your gym sessions, explaining your routines, exercises, equipment used, and providing fitness tips or insights.
- Sharing Your Goals and Goal Progress: Regularly update viewers on your personal or professional goals, sharing your progress, achievements, setbacks, or adjustments, keeping them involved and invested in your journey.
Food Vlogging Ideas
For the food lovers out there, vlogging provides an ideal platform to share culinary passions, experiments, and discoveries.
Here are some food vlogging ideas:
- Exploring Street Food in Your City: Head out and try some local street food. Show what’s popular in your area, and share your reactions and recommendations.
- Cooking a New Recipe: Try cooking something new and share the process. It could be a dish you’ve never made before, and you can share the success or failure.
- Taste Tests of Exotic Foods: Try out some unusual or exotic foods. Share your thoughts, where you got them from, and whether you’d recommend them.
- Visiting Local Food Markets: Take a trip to a local food market. Show what’s available, talk about prices, and maybe pick up something to cook with.
- Food Challenges: Try a food challenge, like eating something super spicy or trying a weird food combination, and share your reactions.
- Baking Experiments: Try baking something, maybe a new pastry or dessert. Show the process, and the end result, and taste test it.
- Healthy Meal Preps: Share how you prep your meals for a healthier lifestyle. Show what goes into each meal and offer some tips.
- Comparing Food Delivery Services: Order from different food delivery services and compare them. Discuss the service, the quality of the food, and the overall experience.
- Regional Cuisine Exploration: Explore dishes from different regions or cultures. Cook them yourself or order them from a restaurant, and share your thoughts.
- Vegan or Vegetarian Challenges: Try going vegan or vegetarian for a while. Share what you eat, how it feels, and any benefits or challenges you notice.
- Food Storage Hacks and Tips: Share your best tips for storing food so it lasts longer. Talk about what works for you and any hacks that others might find useful.
- Cook-off Challenges: Engage in friendly cook-off challenges where you and a friend or a group of friends compete to make the best dish, allowing viewers to decide the winner based on presentation and creativity.
- Seasonal or Festival Specials: Create content revolving around seasonal or festival-specific foods, sharing recipes, the significance of the dishes, and the celebrations involved.
Travel Vlogging Ideas
Travel vlogs allow audiences to embark on a journey from the comfort of their screens, exploring unknown territories and cultures.
Dive into some of these captivating travel vlog topics:
- Tour of a City: Explore a city, showing its main attractions, hidden gems, and local favorites, sharing insights and tips along the way.
- Adventure Trips: Embark on an adventure trip, like mountain biking or desert safaris, capturing the thrills and experiences of your journey.
- Solo Travel Diaries: Document your solo travels, sharing the freedom and challenges it brings and how the experience is different from group travel.
- Historical Site Visits: Visit historical sites, delving into their history, significance, and the stories that make them remarkable.
- Cultural Festivals: Attend cultural festivals showcasing the music, dance, food, and traditions, highlighting the uniqueness of each celebration.
- Backpacking Adventures: Go backpacking and share the essence of traveling light, meeting new people, and exploring places in a more flexible manner.
- Luxury Travel Experiences: Indulge in luxury travels, sharing experiences of exquisite accommodations, gourmet dining, and high-end services.
- Hotel Inside Looks and Reviews: Provide a detailed review of different hotels, showcasing the rooms, amenities, services, and overall hospitality.
- Nature and Wildlife Explorations: Venture into nature reserves, forests, or national parks, capturing the beauty of the wild, flora and fauna, and natural landscapes.
- Cruise Ship Diaries: Take viewers on a cruise journey, showing life aboard, the destinations visited, and the unique experiences it offers.
- Off-the-Beaten-Path Discoveries: Explore less-known or remote places, revealing their untouched beauty and tranquility away from tourist crowds.
- Exploring Abandoned Places: Visit and explore abandoned or haunted places, narrating the mysteries, histories, and eerie atmosphere of such locations.
Lifestyle Vlogging Ideas
Lifestyle vlogs offer a peek into the varied aspects of one’s life, from fashion to health, beauty to hobbies.
Here are some to try:
- DIY Home Decor: Share your creative process as you decorate or redecorate parts of your home. Show before and after transformations, and share tips and inspiration for home decor.
- Fashion Hauls: Showcase your latest fashion finds, trying them on and sharing where you bought them and why they caught your eye. Offer styling tips and how you plan to incorporate them into your wardrobe.
- Monthly Favorites: Each month, share a compilation of your favorite things, whether they’re beauty products, books, fashion items, or even new hobbies or activities you’ve tried.
- Skincare Routines: Share your skincare routine, discussing the products you use, their benefits, and the results you’ve observed over time. Include morning and night routines and any skincare tips.
- Workout Routines: Share your fitness journey, showcasing your favorite workouts, routines that have been effective for you, and tips for staying motivated and consistent.
- Personal Transformation Stories: Discuss your personal growth or transformation journey. Share stories of challenges you’ve overcome, lessons learned, and advice for others going through similar experiences.
- Book Recommendations: Share reviews of the books you’ve read recently. Discuss the genres, authors, and whether or not you’d recommend them to your viewers.
- Movie Reviews: Share your thoughts on the latest movies you’ve watched. Discuss the storyline, cinematography, acting, and whether it’s a must-watch or a pass.
- Home Gardening: Take viewers through your home garden, discussing what you’re growing, gardening tips, and the joys and challenges of maintaining a garden.
- Musical Instrument Tutorials: If you play a musical instrument, share tutorials, practice sessions, or performances. Offer tips for beginners and advice on improving skills and techniques.
- Healthy Eating Habits: Share your journey of maintaining a balanced diet, including what you typically eat in a day, your favorite healthy recipes, and how you manage cravings and eating out.
- Mindfulness and Meditation Practices: Share your experiences with mindfulness practices like meditation or yoga. Offer tips on how to start, benefits you’ve noticed, and how it impacts your daily life.
- Productivity Hacks: Share practical advice on how to be more productive in daily tasks or work. This could include time management tips, favorite productivity apps, or how to create an effective to-do list.
- Crafts and DIY Projects: Share your love for crafts by creating DIY projects on camera, explaining the process, the necessary materials, and the joy that crafting brings into your life.
Vlogging Ideas for Beginners
If you’re just starting out, here are some simple yet engaging ideas to help ease into the world of vlogging.
- Introduction to Your Channel: Start by introducing yourself and explaining the purpose of your channel. Share what kind of content viewers can expect and why they should subscribe.
- Answering Get-To-Know-Me Questions: Engage with your audience by answering some common get-to-know-me questions. It could be about your background, likes/dislikes, or fun facts.
- Room or Home Tour: Give a tour of your room or home, sharing bits about your decor style and any special or meaningful items.
- Sharing Your Hobbies: Share what you love doing in your free time. It could be painting, reading, cooking, or any activity that you’re passionate about.
- A Day Without Technology: Document a day spent without using technology and share how it affected your routine, productivity, and overall mood.
- Chat About Your Aspirations: Talk about your goals, where you see yourself in the future, and the steps you’re taking toward achieving your dreams.
- Discuss Your Favorite Shows or Books: Share reviews or thoughts on your favorite shows, movies, or books and why you recommend them.
- Share a Personal Story: Share an anecdote or experience that had a significant impact on you. It could be a travel experience, a life lesson, or a heartwarming incident.
- Talk About Your Inspirations: Discuss who or what inspires you, whether it’s a person, a book, a quote, or an experience, and how it has influenced your life.
- DIY Craft Tutorial: Share a simple and fun DIY craft tutorial. Guide viewers step-by-step, encouraging them to get creative and try it themselves.
- Cooking or Baking Something New: Try your hand at cooking or baking something new and simple. Share the recipe, the process, and the final result.
- Share Your Fitness Journey: Discuss how you maintain your fitness, including your workout routine, diet, and any tips for those looking to start their fitness journey.
Vlogging Ideas for At Home
Home is where the heart is, and there’s plenty to explore and share within its walls:
- Home Organization Tips: Share practical advice on organizing various spaces around your home. From decluttering tips to storage solutions, provide viewers with actionable steps to create a more organized living space.
- DIY Furniture Building: Take your viewers on a DIY journey as you build or refurbish furniture. Share insights on the materials, tools, and processes involved, helping viewers undertake their own DIY furniture projects.
- Cooking a Family Recipe: Dive into your family’s culinary heritage by cooking a cherished family recipe on camera. Explain the significance of the dish, the ingredients used, and any special techniques involved in its preparation.
- Home Workout Challenges: Share a series of home workout challenges that viewers can participate in. From high-intensity exercises to yoga flows, encourage your audience to stay active and engaged while at home.
- Hosting a Virtual Party: Guide viewers on how to host a virtual party, discussing themes, invitations, activities, and technology tools to ensure a smooth and fun virtual gathering.
- Indoor Photography Tips: Share tips and techniques for capturing stunning photographs indoors. Discuss lighting, angles, and equipment, helping photography enthusiasts hone their skills.
- Crafting Sessions: Organize crafting sessions where you demonstrate various craft projects, explaining the materials needed, and steps to follow and offering inspiration for viewers to unleash their creativity.
- Board Game Reviews: Review different board games, discussing their rules, strategies, and why they’re enjoyable. Help viewers discover new games to play and offer insights on selecting the perfect board game for different occasions.
- Home Spa Day: Walk viewers through how to create a relaxing spa experience at home. Discuss different self-care practices, products to use, and tips for creating a soothing ambiance.
- Indoor Gardening: Share tips on cultivating and maintaining an indoor garden. Discuss different plants suitable for indoor gardening, their care routines, and the benefits of having greenery in living spaces.
- Unboxing and Reviewing Products: Share your experience unboxing and reviewing various products that you’ve ordered online, discussing their features, usability, and whether they meet your expectations.
- Mindfulness and Meditation Practices: Introduce viewers to your mindfulness and meditation practices at home, sharing tips and guiding them through short sessions to help them find peace and calm in their daily lives.
- Hosting Themed Dinners: Guide viewers on how to host themed dinner parties at home, discussing menu planning, decoration ideas, and how to create a specific ambiance or vibe for the evening.
- Creating a Cozy Reading Nook: Share ideas and tips on setting up a cozy reading nook at home, discussing the essential items, decoration ideas, and how to choose the perfect spot.
Vlogging Ideas for Students
From classroom antics to late-night study sessions, student life is rife with relatable and engaging content.
These popular student vlog topics are worth a go:
- College or School Tours: Create a detailed tour of your college or school, showcasing different facilities, classrooms, libraries, and cafeterias, giving prospective students a feel of campus life.
- Study with Me Sessions: Share real-time study sessions, showing how you manage your study time effectively, the techniques you use, and how you stay focused.
- Exam Preparation Tips: Provide valuable advice on how to prepare for exams, discussing study techniques, revision strategies, and how to manage exam stress.
- Hostel Life Diaries: Offer a glimpse into hostel life, sharing experiences, the adjustments, and the fun parts of living away from home with friends.
- Back-to-School Shopping: Take viewers along on your shopping trips for school or college essentials, discussing where you shop and what items are necessary or helpful for the school year.
- Sharing Study Resources: Discuss and review various study resources that you use, like textbooks, online platforms, or apps that have been particularly helpful in your studies.
- Extracurricular Activities: Share your involvement in extracurricular activities, showcasing what you do, your experiences, and how these activities enhance your educational journey.
- College Hacks: Offer practical college life hacks that have made your life as a student easier, whether it’s related to studying, managing time, or saving money.
- Group Study Sessions: Showcase how you conduct group study sessions, discussing how it helps in your studies and tips for making these sessions effective.
- Freshers or Graduation Day Diaries: Share experiences from significant events like your first day at college or graduation, capturing the emotions, ceremonies, and celebrations involved.
- Internship Experiences: Talk about your internship experiences, sharing what you learned, how you secured the internship, and tips for others to make the most of their internship opportunities.
- Time Management Tips: Offer advice on how to manage time effectively as a student, sharing scheduling strategies, prioritization tips, and how to avoid procrastination.
- Navigating Online Classes: Share insights and tips on how to navigate the world of online classes, discussing how to stay motivated, participate effectively, and manage workload.
- Career Planning and Goals: Discuss your career aspirations, how you plan to achieve your goals, and advice for other students in planning their career paths and setting achievable objectives.
Vlog Ideas with Friends
There’s nothing like sharing moments with friends. Plus, friends bring in a variety of perspectives and ideas, making the vlog more engaging and relatable.
Here are ideas to create entertaining vlogs with friends:
- Friend Tag Questions: Engage in a fun question-and-answer session where you and your friends ask each other questions to see how well you know one another.
- Cooking or Baking Together: Collaborate with friends to cook or bake something delightful. Share the process, the fun moments, and of course, the final tasting!
- Road Trips: Document road trips with friends, capturing the journey, the destinations, the adventures, and the unexpected moments along the way.
- DIY Friend Projects: Work on DIY projects with your friends, whether it’s crafting, building something, or any creative venture, sharing the process and the results.
- Collaborative Challenges: Engage in challenges that require teamwork, like fitness challenges, eating challenges, or any fun and competitive tasks.
- Prank Wars: Unleash your mischievous side by engaging in light-hearted pranks with your friends, ensuring it’s all in good fun and everyone enjoys it.
- Discussing Shared Interests or Hobbies: Have discussions on topics that you and your friends are passionate about, like movies, books, music, or any shared hobbies.
- Blindfolded Makeup Challenges: Try doing each other’s makeup while blindfolded and have a good laugh at the unexpected and humorous outcomes.
- Best Friend vs. Boyfriend/Girlfriend Tag: Engage in a fun comparison game where you find out who knows you better, your best friend or your partner.
- Reminiscing Old Memories: Take a trip down memory lane, sharing old photos and stories and reliving cherished memories with friends.
- Fashion Swap: Swap clothes with each other and try styling them in your own unique way, showcasing the results and discussing the experience.
- Themed Photoshoots: Collaborate for themed photoshoots, deciding on the concepts, outfits, and locations and having fun creating visual content together.
- Trying Different Cuisines: Go on a culinary adventure, trying out different cuisines or restaurants together, and sharing your reviews and experiences.
- Movie or Series Binge-Watching: Plan a binge-watching session of movies or series, discussing your views, likes, and dislikes about them.
- Planning and Executing a Surprise: Document the process of planning and executing a surprise for a friend, capturing the preparations and the reaction.
- Related: Top Documentary Ideas for Filmmaking
10 Pro Tips for Choosing Vlog Topics
Navigating through a sea of vlogging ideas can be overwhelming, but choosing the right topics is key to engaging your audience and growing your channel.
Here are some tips to help steer your decision-making process:
1. Follow Your Passion. Choose topics you are passionate about. Vlogging about what you love will keep the content fresh, genuine, and enjoyable to create.
2. Know Your Audience. Understand who your viewers are. What are their interests? Tailor your content to meet their preferences and needs.
3. Stay Current. Keep up with trends and hot topics. Incorporating current events or trending subjects can make your vlogs more relevant and appealing.
4. Quality over Quantity. Focus on creating valuable content. It’s better to have fewer, high-quality vlogs than numerous, less engaging ones.
- Related: Best Software for Vlog Editing
5. Diversity is Key. Don’t be afraid to mix things up. Variety in content can keep your channel exciting and attract a broader audience.
6. Plan and Schedule. Having a plan or schedule for your vlogs can help keep your content consistent and well-organized.
7. Feedback Loop. Listen to your audience’s feedback. Their comments and reactions can offer valuable insights for improving and refining your content.
8. Collaborate and Network. Collaborations with other vloggers or influencers can introduce new ideas and expand your audience reach.
9. Do Your Research. Investigate what content is already out there, find gaps, and explore how you can bring something new to the table.
10. Authenticity Matters. Stay genuine in your vlogs. Sharing content that truly resonates with your personality and beliefs will help form a stronger, more authentic connection with your viewers, making your channel stand out in the crowded vlogging space.
As the Content Manager of Shotkit, India Mantle brings with her a lifelong love for photography that she developed during her childhood, watching her father document their family moments with his Nikon EM. In her free time, you find her enjoying the awe-inspiring natural beauty of her home, Northern Rivers, Australia.