8 Interesting Leica Statistics (Fact Checked for 2023)
Discover all the most up-to-date facts, figures and statistics about Leica. The perfect resource for journalists, updated for 2023.
This article is an updated list of 8 interesting Leica statistics for 2023.
Leica is a global manufacturer of premium cameras, optics, and lenses. Over the years, it has perfected the union of German craftsmanship and technological innovation in all of its products.
Among Leica’s most notable product lines are the classic Leica M series film cameras, the more modern, full-frame mirrorless Leica SL2, the L-mount Leica CL, the 28mm Leica Q2, and the Leica D-Lux 7.
Find out more in our up-to-date roundup of Leica stats.
Top Leica Statistics (Editor’s Choice)
- Ernst Leitz founded Leica in 1869, making 2023 the company’s 54th year in the industry.
- Leica Camera AG’s ownership is divided among two entities: 55% owned by ACM Projektentwicklung GmbH and 45% owned by The Blackstone Group.
- Leica reached its peak revenue of $432.4 million.
- With 31.8%, the Leica SL2-S is the most reviewed product among all Leica lines.
- The top five most reviewed Leica cameras, from highest to lowest, are Leica SL2-S, Leica Q2, Leica M1, Leica Q (Typ 116), and Leica SL (Typ 601).
- Rare Leica camera prototype, Leica 0-Series no. 105, smashed auctions and set a world record by selling for around $15.5 million.
- By the end of the 2021 to 2022 financial year, Leica had experienced an impressive 16% sales increase.
General Leica Statistics
Below is a compilation of general Leica statistics from its origin story to its current ownership. Think of it as a way to help you get to know this German camera company better.
You’ll also get a glimpse of why these cameras and lenses are celebrated by users all over the world.
1. Leica Camera AG has been around for 154 years
Ernst Leitz started Leica in 1869. The company was first called Leitz until it was later changed to Leica in 1986.
The new name is derived from the first letters of Ernst Leitz’s last name and the first two letters of the word camera. During the later years of the 20th century, the brand was widely known and associated with cameras for street photography.
Through Leica’s decades of experience, they’ve become a brand known for premium cameras that range from elegant designs to the more contemporary.
2. Leica is composed of four different companies
The Leica brand is shared by four companies: Leica Camera or Leica Camera AG, Leica Microsystems, Leica Biosystems, and Leica Geosystems.
While each company dabbles in a field of its own, they still focus on optics and lenses. For example, Leica Microsystems focus primarily on providing innovative microscopy through a variety of cameras and lenses.
3. The current ownership of the company is split into two
Ownership of the company is primarily split between two parties: The Blackstone Group or Blackstone BX.N and ACM Projektentwicklung GmbH. ACM has a higher percentage of shares at 55%, while the rest belongs to the former.
However, there are talks that Blackstone Group will potentially open its 45% stake to interested buyers.
Leica Camera Statistics
Now, let’s take a look at the statistics surrounding Leica’s camera lines. Over the years, the company has released an extensive catalog, from stylish and classic cameras to the more sleek, modern ones.
4. The Leica I was among the first still photography cameras to take 35mm movie films
This company wasn’t exactly the first to release a 35mm camera. However, when the Leica I came out in 1925, it revolutionized how these still photography cameras were being used.
The company also introduced the viability of creating 35mm movie films with these types of cameras.
5. The Leica 0-Series no. 105 sold for around $15.5 million in an auction
Leica 0-Series no. 105 was among the first models of Ernst Leitz’s prototype 0 series. It was sold at the 40th Leitz Photographica Auction for about $15.5 million, making it one of the most expensive cameras in the world.
Other cameras from this prototype series, such as the 1923 Leica 0-series no. 122 has also been given similar titles because of its premium price point.
6. The Leica SL2-S is the most reviewed product among all Leica lines, with 31.8%
Leica SL2-S, a 24-megapixel photo and video camera, was introduced back in November 2019. It’s managed to remain one of the most reviewed cameras of the brand. It’s received the most positive reviews, news coverage, and product database pages compared to other products.
It’s quickly followed by the Leica Q2. This is one of the company’s more modern cameras with a 47.3-megapixel full-frame sensor.
Leica Financial Statistics
Below is an overview of the financial statistics of Leica. This will give you an idea of how the company is doing financially.
7. Leica saw sales increases despite the COVID-19 pandemic
Most businesses found it extremely challenging to go through the pandemic unscathed. However, Leica found itself in a good financial position during this time as it saw a significant increase in sales.
According to their website, the company experienced a 16% increase. This is attributed highly to their exploration of e-commerce and the expansion of retail networks globally.
Furthermore, Leica has established almost 100 retail stores all over the world. Furthermore, consumer demand is still growing. This is proven by the enthusiasm they received when the partnership with the tech brand Xiaomi was announced.
8. Leica is expected to increase camera prices in 2023
Leica cameras have been seeing an increase in prices over the past months, and it looks as if this trajectory will continue in 2023.
There are talks that most of the company’s product lines will receive a $300 to $400 increase from their current market prices.
- Fujifilm facts and statistics
- Sony facts and statistics
- Panasonic facts and statistics
- Nikon facts and statistics
- Canon facts and statistics
- GoPro facts and statistics
- Photography and camera industry statistics
Check out these 8 essential tools to help you succeed as a professional photographer.
Includes limited-time discounts.
Leave a Comment