Creating the perfect iPhone Vlogging kit for beginners may seem challenging or intimidating, but that’s why I’m here!
iPhones are great for filming everyday vlogs – you always have one in your pocket, ready to capture at a moment’s notice.
Thanks to recent iPhone camera upgrades, the video quality of a modern iPhone is top-notch.
However, to really get the most out of an iPhone for vlogging, you need to pair it up with the right accessories.
In this guide, I’ll cover the basics you need to create the ideal iPhone vlogging kit.
You may also like to learn how to vlog using an iPhone first.
Table of Contents
iPhone Vlogging Kit Essentials for High-Quality Audio & Video Recording
To maximize your iPhone vlogging experience, here’s a list of accessories to help you achieve high-quality audio and video.
I’ve listed them in order of importance, regardless of which model iPhone you use for vlogging.
High-quality audio is crucial in building a comprehensive vlogger kit and producing high-quality content.
And even though modern phones have a built-in mic, they serve a general purpose and aren’t designed for the detailed audio control you need to vlog.
I recommend using external microphones for enhanced sound quality and to avoid picking up unwanted background noise while recording.
Don’t worry if you have a tight budget, I’ll cover a few of the best external mics below that range in price to fit your needs and spending limits for the perfect iPhone vlogging kit.
- The Rode VideoMic Me-L iPhone/iPad Microphone is definitely a contender on the list of best external microphones thanks to its handy mic clip and its ability to work with nearly any Apple iOS device.
- The Sennheiser Pro Audio Sennheiser Professional MKE 200 is another top audio choice when developing your smartphone vlogging kit because of its integrated windscreen, shock mount, and phone clamp, as well as included components like a mini tripod.
- The PGDLOF Wireless Lavalier Lapel Microphone comes close to the top of the list of the best external microphones as well due to its highly sensitive audio capabilities, real-time monitoring, rotatable phone holder, and omnidirectional noise-cancelling properties.
Good lighting makes all the difference when it comes to recording videos.
The best vlogging kits include lighting accessories that deliver flattering light and adjustable brightness so you can alter the brightness settings to fit evolving needs and locations.
Here are some of my favorites when it comes to vlogging light:
- The GreatLPT Cell Phone Fill Light can be easily clipped onto your iPhone and offers an incredible color temperature range of 3000-6500K via an adjustable LED light. It also has 10 built-in light brightness levels and an extensive battery light, so you can shoot for hours without charging.
- The Newmowa Video Conference Light is another runner-up for the best iPhone vlog lighting options and has received consistently high marks from Amazon users thanks to the flexibility of a front and back clip, 3 light modes, 10 brightness levels, and a 12-month warranty.
- The Auxiwa Clip-On Selfie Ring Light brings stiff competition to the world of essential accessories for vlogging. Equipped with 36 LED bulbs and 3 brightness levels, you’ll be able to create the best shooting environment even in dim settings.
- How to fix bad lighting in Photos on iPhone
While the iPhone’s built-in stabilization is great, iPhone tripods, gimbals, and stabilizers are high-quality components that add the sturdy element you need when live streaming or just building your vlogging kit.
The best vlogger kits will always include tripods or some other kind of stabilizing phone holder, so let’s dive into some of the best options below:
- The Newest iPhone Tripod Stand has earned remarkably high reviews on Amazon because of its lightweight design, easy setup, flexible phone mount options, and a handle for smoother panning.
- The UURIG Extendable Phone Tripod is another excellent choice to create the best vlogging kit. Because this phone holder has a cold shoe mount for easy connections and a detachable ball head that flexes to various angles, you can easily start vlogging without a hassle.
- The ULANZI Extendable Phone Tripod is another top pick for an iPhone phone holder thanks to its adjustable top clip, rotatable ball-head, cold shoe mount, and telescopic design.
- The YENDILI Professional Gimbal Stabilizer brings an unsurpassed level of professionalism when shooting video with your iPhone. Boasting a built-in 1-axis motor, a 32-bit ARM processor, and a portable design, this gimbal extends and collapses and rotates and balances to cover all your live streaming needs.
- The DJI Osmo Mobile SE Intelligent Gimbal is another head-turner in the world of DIY vlogging kits. Magnetic, foldable, and portable this gimbal brings all the bells and whistles with top-performing features like innovative tracking tech, assisted editing, 3-axis stabilization, and so much more.
4. Rigs & Grips
During any video recording sessions, a sturdy phone holder is a must.
Part of having the right equipment for your vlogging kit means having solid rigs with grips.
Not all rigs have grips since some are just designed to mount to other gear, such as tripods, gimbals, and stabilizers.
How Much Do You REALLY Know About Photography?! 🤔
Test your photography knowledge with this quick quiz!
See how much you really know about photography...
The best models will bring two for one, so let’s explore those options:
- The SmallRig Universal Cage isn’t just a great phone holder; it’s a stabilizer too. Built with a two-handle design, this aluminum alloy cage increases stability to enhance the content creation process.
- The ULANZI U Rig Pro Smartphone Video Rig is another great phone holder option for video recording. Available for just under $16, it’s one of the most affordable options on the market while still bringing accessory mounting options and a non-slip silicone design to the table.
- The Zeadio Smartphone Video Case Rig is a third contender for the best phone holder when video recording. Two ergonomic side handles offer comfortable use while mounting options for a microphone and light attachment make it easy to use any accessory in your vlogging kit.
5. Third Party Lenses
While iPhones offer excellent image processing, using third-party lenses can really enhance your video quality.
Because these lenses are designed with cutting-edge features like improved optics and coatings, they can help you get high quality content with every recording.
Some lenses are built with better zoom options, while others are mindfully constructed to help you showcase intricate details.
Let’s take a look at the best third party lenses for your iPhone:
- The Xenvo Pro Lens Kit is easily one of the best third party lenses for your iPhone. Its wide angle lens helps you capture more of the scene in front of you while rectilinear correction keeps unwanted lens distortion at bay.
- The SmallRig Anamorphic Lens is a must-have lens in any smartphone vlogging kit. A durable aluminum construction and magnetic design enhance durability and ease of use, while the 1.55x squeeze provides flexibility in editing.
- The Apexel 10-in-1 Phone Camera Lens Kit delivers the versatility iPhone users want in their vlogging kit. Complete with fisheye, telephoto, and kaleidoscope lenses, you’ll be able to easily master any kind of video technique.
Good filters are one of the most important things you can purchase when building your vlogging kit.
A solid filter can easily up the game of your video quality and vlogging kit, and specialty filters can meet the specific needs of any artistic endeavor.
The iPhone lens filters you’ll want to include in your vlogging kit will be compact, easy to use, and have a durable design.
Here are some of the best filters for your smartphone vlogging kit:
- The Neweer 37mm Clip On Phone Lens has an array of features that make it great for iPhones, including an easy screw-on design, enhanced color contrast, and adjustable light exposure settings for under $30.
- The DAUERHAFT 37mm CPL Polarizing Lens Filter is another option to consider when expanding your vlogging kit. At just under $18, this filter offers improved color saturation and contrast, a water- and oil-repellent design, and a sturdy aluminum construction.
- The Yadsux 52mm Clip On Lens Filter delivers an easy way to upgrade your vlogging kit. A convenient carrying case is included for lens protection and portability, while the HD coating prevents lens flare, reflections, glare, and ghosting.
7. Power Banks
One of the first things you need to pay attention to with video recording is your charger.
Even with extended battery life, you’ll want to be able to charge your iPhone on the go, so power banks are a must!
The best vlogging kits will undoubtedly include top-performing power banks, so let’s discuss some options below:
- The ApowKing R85 Portable Power Bank is a stellar choice for video recording sessions due to its portable and compact design, three light brightness modes, and its affordable price under $100.
- The Anker Power Bank is another great choice for those who aren’t afraid to invest in something a bit more expensive. Multiple ports allow you to charge multiple phones or your phone and laptop simultaneously, while a retractable light and SOS button deliver emergency safety lighting during power outages.
- The MARBERO Portable Power Bank is another choice to consider when building your video recording kit with a solar charging option, 4 brightness levels, and various charging ports.
8. Protective Cases & Storage
As you’re taking the time to build the perfect vlogging kit, how you store your phone when it’s not in a phone holder will make a big difference.
You’ll want something constructed of durable material that can hold individual components and perhaps some compartments with a protective mesh layer.
A portable design enhanced with ergonomic or cushioned handles is always a plus too!
Let’s review some of the best storage options for vlogging kits:
- The Vlogging Camera Case is easily the best choice to protect your smartphone vlogging kit. More than just a phone holder, this case boasts waterproof, shockproof, and scratch-resistant material to keep your gear safe, while a mesh pocket is great for holding additional accessories like power banks, microphones, and more.
- The YARWO Tripod Carrying Case does so much more than its name implies. Spacious enough to hold your tripod, this carrying case has multiple compartments for light stands, ring lights, and other gear and a durable nylon fabric to protect against dust, scratches, and liquids.
- The FBLFOBELI EVA Hard Storage Case is another solid choice for storing your video recording equipment. Multiple compartments and mesh pockets make it easy to store and safeguard everything in your vlogging kit, including your phone, phone holder, DSLR camera, microphone, and more.
9. Video Editing Apps
While all the accessories listed above will enhance your video quality and your vlogging kit, video editing apps can also make a tremendous difference in the finished product.
The best vlog video editing apps will have an intuitive interface, world-class editing features, and a responsive touch screen.
These are some of my favorite apps for iPhone video editing:
- LumaFusion: This app is so good it earned Apple’s coveted App of the Year title in 2021. And today, LumaFusion is still beginner-friendly and full of impressive audio features.
- Adobe Premiere Rush: Designed to transform content creation from your iPhone, Adobe Premiere Rush is a free app that lets you do everything from customizing transitions and titles to tailoring your color scheme with presets and manual correction.
- InShot Video Editor: Creating high quality videos is easier than ever with this app. Appealing to both beginners and pros, InShot makes splitting videos into multiple clips, merging videos, adjusting ratios and speeds, and making stop-motion videos effortless.
10. SD Card Readers
While iCloud is one of the most efficient and secure ways to store content, some vloggers want the option to transfer to and from an SD card to share with friends, coworkers, and family, or even just to share to your laptop or iPad.
For this reason, you may want to consider an SD card reader, so let’s discuss some options:
- The Oyuiasle SD Card Reader is ideal for two-way transfer between your SD card to your iPhone and vice versa. It supports 4k videos and delivers high-speed transfers to save space on your phone or the SD card.
- The Hongwei SD Card Reader is another great option for transferring video to and from your iPhone. Easy to use while offering ports to charge your devices for under $15, this card reader is a top choice in my book.
Which iPhone is Best for Vlogging?
The iPhone is constantly evolving to meet our demanding needs and interests, so most models are great for vlogging.
However, some are understandably better suited to vlogging than others.
Here are some of the best iPhones for vlogging:
- The iPhone 15 Pro Max is the crème de la crème when it comes to building the best smartphone vlogging kit. Offering a Super Retina XDR display and up to 29 hours of video playback, this iPhone provides maximum brightness and the unsurpassed contrast you demand from Apple products.
- The iPhone 15 Pro is undoubtedly one of the best iPhones for vlogging. Coming in hot with a ton of next-level features like 24MP for exceptional resolution, camera upgrades that mirror various pro lenses, and new video formats, the iPhone 15 Pro is the latest and greatest for your smartphone vlogging kit.
- The iPhone 14 is another competitor when looking at the best iPhone for your vlogging kit. Delivering crisp video quality from a high quality camera system, three quality lenses, and a 48MP primary sensor, this iPhone provides remarkable telephoto features and excellent performance even in low light.
7 Vloggers You Need to Follow
Whether you’ve just started vlogging or are a seasoned YouTube vlogger, building and expanding your community to continue growing and improving is key!
I’m listing out a few of the best vloggers in the comedic, travel, and culinary realms, so let’s dive in!
Take the HARD Photography Quiz! 🤯
Now it's time to really test your photography knowledge!
(99% of people can't get all the questions right...)
Here are 10 of the best YouTube vloggers you need to follow this year:
An esteemed influencer, photographer, and filmmaker, Sorelle Amore is a must-follow YouTube vlogger.
Hailing from Australia, Amore is praised for her high-quality YouTube content detailing affordable ways to travel, realistic ways to earn extra money, and how to confidently travel solo.
Additionally, Amore has authored books on taking better selfies to elevate your brand.
2. Lilly Singh
Canadian YouTube expert Lilly Singh is another vlogger you need to follow.
Capturing videos that cover everything from her daily routine to heated political debates, Singh’s YouTube content brings the perfect mix of humor and serious topics.
When you need your daily dose of comedy, look no further than PewDiePie.
This Swedish YouTube sensation is known for his hilarious takes on AI, gender reveals, and more.
With well over 100 million subscribers, PewDiePie is arguably one of the most successful vloggers of all time.
4. Jonna Jinton
Swedish filmmaker, musician, and artist Jonna Jinton is another have-to-follow YouTube vlogger.
With videos that display the ethereal beauty of northern Sweden, Jinton shared a diverse range of nature-inspired shorts, as well as detailed overviews of Nordic culture.
Dog lovers and culinary connoisseurs can come together in harmony over the Cooking with Dog YouTube channel.
This Japanese cooking series dates back to 2007 and captures a Japanese home chef and her furry companion, Francis.
With voiceovers and narrations from Francis, it’s no wonder this lighthearted cooking show has over one million subscribers today!
6. Zoe Sugg
Hailing from the UK, Zoe Sugg is one of the best YouTube vloggers on the planet.
While working in the interior design industry, Sugg created her YouTube presence with videos showcasing her day-to-day.
Today, Sugg’s videos focus on everything from her home life and décor to travel and beauty product reviews.
7. Shawn Dawson
American YouTube pro, Shawn Dawson, is another vlogger to check out.
Whether he’s trying every Twinkie product known to man or diving into some outrageous conspiracy theories, Dawson leads viewers through a comedic journey they’ll never forget.